Top Interviewing Tips for Moms Returning to Work
Posted Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 by
It can be a very special time for moms looking to return to work who have spent the last several years or longer raising children.
However, being away from the job market for a period could mean you’re a bit rusty and out of practice on how to handle yourself during the interview.
Here are a few interviewing tips that can place you firmly in the running:
1. Plan to arrive early to leave yourself enough time to calm down and gather your wits about you. Being somewhat nervous for an interview is normal, but you don’t want to give the impression the interview is emotionally overpowering.
2. Always dress professionally and appropriately for the interview. Visit the salon and manicure your nails. Appearance matters.
3. Make sure you get enough sleep the night before your interview. The odds are you’ll wake up more refreshed and ready the following morning You’ll be ready to take on whatever comes your way.
4. Bring yourself up-to-date by reading everything you can about your field of interest. While you were away from the workforce, a lot may have happened. The news and current events is a great place to start. And you can access a ton of information on the Internet. You may be competing against other people who are more consistently in the main stream of things.
5. Never be afraid to brag a little bit about your accomplishments and skills, especially if it’s done gracefully and professionally. Showing a little self-confidence can make an impact on the hiring decision.
6. Practice, and then practice some more! Use a friend or relative to practice with. Have them ask you the likely questions an interviewer will ask so that you’ll be well prepared.
Be sure and follow up no later than one week after the job interview and thank the employer for their time. It sends a message that you really want the position.
Remember, if you’re an Everest graduate, you can always contact the Career Services department of your school and arrange to rework your resumé or brush up on your interviewing skills.
Looking to get the education that can help you prepare for a new career?
Contact Everest College today to find out more.