Why Be an Accountant?
Posted Wednesday, Sep 29, 2010 by
Entry level accountants — particularly bookkeepers and auditing clerks — are in high demand in Florida.
According to O*NET, the online employment resource sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, employment opportunities for entry-level accounts, bookers and auditing clerks within the state of Florida is expected to increase 20 percent in the 2006-2016 period . This is in contrast to the 10-percent increase in demand expected to occur nationwide over a similar 10-year period.
Why consider an accountant career? Here are some key reasons for choosing this career path:
- Stability. Accounting is one of those “conservative professions” with little spark or sizzle but a whole lot of shelf life. All businesses need the help of accountants, either working in-house or as outside consultants. If you manage to land a full-time gig, you will likely stick around for as long as you wish and you continue to produce quality work.
- Work environment. Most accountants tend to work in professional “white collar” environments with all the amenities modern corporations have to offer. If you choose to work freelance, then you have the freedom and flexibility to work the hours you want for the clients you choose.
- Income Potential. According to the State of Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation, the median annual wage for entry-level accountants, bookkeepers and auditing clerks in 2009 was $31,600, which means that half of all entry-level accountants made more than that and half made less . Those in the lowest 10 percent made just $20,600 per year while those in the upper 10 percent made an average $46,500.
- Job Prospects. As noted earlier, entry-level accounting jobs in Florida are expected to have grown 20 percent between 2006 and 2016, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. That’s an increase of 4,560 jobs.
- Opportunities for Advancement. Entry-level accounting work can be a first step to becoming a full-fledged Certified Public Accountant, an opportunity that takes on considerably more responsibility and makes significantly more income.
Accounting Training Program Offered at Everest Institute in Kendall
Everest Institute in Kendall, Fla., offers an Accounting career education program that can be completed in just two years.
Taught by accounting professionals, the program emphasizes strong problem solving, mathematic and analytical skills that are essential to success in the accounting.
Everest’s Accounting program includes hands-on training in:
Principles of Accounting
Introductory Cost/Managerial Accounting
Applied Business Law
For complete information on class schedules, times and requirements, contact Everest Institute today!
Financial aid is available for those who qualify.
 http://online.onetcenter.org/link/summary/43-3031.00 updated 2010.
 http://www.labormarketinfo.com/library/oes.htm updated 2010.