5 Steps You Can Take to Pursue a New Direction
Posted Monday, Apr 11, 2011 by
Finding and pursuing a new direction in life might be challenging, but it’s not impossible. Change itself can be one of the scariest things in life to contemplate. However, change may be what’s needed to get you on the path you’ll need to accomplish your goals.
Do the following questions sound familiar? How do I know what to change, and how do I go about it? What happens if I can’t change how I think or the things I do? Will I be able to support myself if significant change happens?
These are difficult questions that can only be answered by you. The one sure fact you can count on is that the present level of thinking that may have gotten you to where you are in life may not be the level of thinking that can move you forward.
Here are some steps you can take that can help you move in a new direction, one that may lead to personal success.
1. Get clear about the things you want in life. A sense of direction is necessary if you’re to arrive at your goal. Otherwise, you may wander aimlessly from one so-called dream to the next.
2. Take things one step at a time and start out small. People often make the mistake of feeling excited and wanting to make changes in their life all at once. Start with small actions so that you can realize small, steady gains.
3. Focus more energy on what you want in life, and not how it will be accomplished. This is tricky! Focusing on what you want entails putting things in place that will help draw the people, circumstances, events and experiences into your realm of influence that can help your goals become a reality. Beyond that point, it’s impossible to know how things will unfold! Finding a balance between visualizing and allowing things to happen is where you want to arrive.
4. Adopt a sense of personal accountability. Whether we realize success or failure, it’s up to each of us to accept personal responsibility. Taking personal responsibility puts your destiny squarely in your own hands.
5. Never give in to self-defeating thoughts or actions. Self-defeating thoughts and actions can only lead to one thing: results that may fall short of our intended goals.
For many, returning to college or attending for the first time can be a direction worth pursuing. Like anything, your level of success depends on setting clearly-defined goals and finding a support structure that can help make your dreams a reality.
Everest College believes that an education can be an important vehicle that allows students to start the process of moving from where they are to where they want to be in life.
Why not contact Everest today to learn more about the programs and courses that can help you gain access to some of today’s most in-demand career fields.